Photos by Edward Pond.
Plants to make a big impression in a city courtyard
- Coral bark maple (Acer palmatum ?Sango-kaku?) ?Its crimson bark and chartreuse leaves outlined in red satisfy my Crayola-loving inner colour wheel,? says the homeowner.
- Corkscrew hazel (Corylus contorta) The contorted branches are only revealed once the leaves fall so the homeowner is equally fond of her dead corkscrew hazel and her new living one.
- Dutchman?s pipe (Aristolochia elegans) A vigorous vine with huge leaves. ?I love its foliage and 3-D nature.?
- River birch (Betula nigra) An atmospheric native tree, ?it doesn?t die a sad downtown birch death.?
- ?Royal Purple? smokebush (Cotinus coggygria) Purple foliage,smoky flowers and luscious fall colour.
- Threadleaf arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis ?Filiformis?) The Snuffleupagus of gardens, this shaggy conifer will always stand out.
- Weeping purple European beech (Fagus sylvatica ?Purpurea Pendula?) Fabulous foliage and ?a stunted, twisted form that will get very tall and be an excellent screen.?
The chartreuse leaves of coral bark maple.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13