I’m going to be on CBC’s 3 to 6 show with Matt Galloway this afternoon ?(on at 4:40) talking about bumble bees and plants in the garden. We need to attract all sorts of birds and insects into our gardens and that’s going to be the theme today. As it will be tomorrow when I’m doing a gig with David Suzuki at the The Music Hall from 4 to 6 p.m. and there are still tickets left.??Here’s a list of plants I’m going to mention if you want to start adding important plants to insects and birds into the garden. ?I’m going to keep on adding to this list and give information on it as I get through this weekend of non stop activity.???
- Uvularia grandiflora (Bellwort);
- Trillium grandiflorum;
- Sanguineria canadensis (bloodroot);
- Erythronium (trout lily);
- Asarum canadense (wild ginger);
- Aquilegia canadensis (Columbine);
- Echinacea pallida (purple coneflower);
- Eupatorium spp (Joe-Pye Weed);
- Solidago canadensis (Canada goldenrod);
- Tradescantia virgianum: this one moves around a lot so be sure you keep it under control
- Aster spp (New England Asters, any aster)
- Amelanchier spp serviceberry, is my favourite native shrub (A. alnifolia) or small tree form.
- Gymnocladus dioica, Kentucky Coffee Tree